Langsung ke konten utama

Summary of 'Don't Insist on English' by Patricia Ryan

Patricia Ryan’s has been an English teacher in the Gulf for 30 years and she has seen a lot of changes. She talks about languages loss and the globalization of English. The statistic that she showes us show that there are 6000 languages in the world, but there are 600 languages in 90 years, that’s quite shocking. Today, a language dies in every 14 days. Teaching English has moved from being a mutually beneficial practice to becoming a massive international business. It has become a bandwagon for every English-speaking nation on Earth. The best education according to the latestWorld University Rangkings is to be found in the universities of the U.K and the U.S. So, everybody wants to have an English education, naturally. However, if someone is not a native speaker, he/she has to pass a test. Patricia Ryan loves that we have a global language. She says that we need more that 600 languages. She says that this system equates intelligence with a knowledge of English which is quite arbitrary. Einstein who has intelegence is stand did not have to have English and did not have to pass an English test. Even, he was considered remedial at school. But, fortunately he successed for the world. Nowadays system, it would do not have the opportunity for the poor stuents because the fee of the tests are expensive. Patricia Ryan also tell us that the intelegence is the problem solve. If someone can’t think a thought, he/she is stuck. But if another language can think that thought, then by cooperating, someone can achieve and learn so much more. Finally, Patricia Ryan says that someone does not only focus on English test, but also “Mind Your Language” and use it to spread great ideas.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Summary of 'The Enchanting Music of Sign Language' by Christine Sun Kim

Christine Sun Kim was born deaf. She is an artist. In his talk, she shares about the history of ASL and a bit of her background. French sign language was brought to America during the early 1800s and as time went by mixed with local signs, it evolved into the language we know today as ASL. Sun Kim was taught to believe that sound wasn’t part of her life. In contrast, sound was very much a part of her life. As a deaf person, Kim understand sound through watching how people behave and respond to sound. The people are like her loudspeaker and amplify sound. At the same time, she have learned to create sound ‘sound atiquette’  and seen how people respond to her. In Deaf culture, movement is equivalent to sound. Kim also showed some sign languages and its meaning. Because of Sun Kim is an artist, she decided to reclaim ownership of sound and put it into her art practice. She says that sound is so powerful that it could either disempower her and her artwork or it could empower her. S...

My Daily Activity

Okay guys , for this posting I would like to share you about my daily activity. I usually wake up at 5 a.m, then, I go to bathroom to take ablution and then I do Shubh prayer. After praying, I usually try to memorize at least two verse s of the Qur’an . This is one of my way to get closer to our Creator, Allah. I do it until 6.15 a.m. After that I help my sister to clean the house. I wash the dishes, then sweep and mop the floor. Around 7 a.m I have breakfast. After breakfast I take a bath and get ready to go to campus if I have schedule at 8 a.m. My sister’s house where I stay is in Gampong Jawa, a bit far from campus so that I have to leave 30 minutes early. I go to campus by motorcycle. This semester, almost every day the college schedule ends before Dhuhur. After the class is over, I usually do the assignment with my close friends. We do it in the coffee shop. But, before we go there, we do Dhuhr prayer and lunch together in one of my friends’ rental house. We usual...

Preparing for Eid al-Fitr

Eid al-Fitr is the day of victory for Muslims after fasting for one month in Ramadhan. In this year, 2017 or 1438 H, Eid al-Fitr falls on Sunday, 25 June. Muslims want to celebrate this victory with happy feeling and very grateful for God has given a chance and a long life that had fasted for one month in the month of Ramadhan this year and could enjoy the Eid al-Fitr. On that day, the Muslims mutually forgive each other and visit the neighbor’s house and his/her relatives. To welcome the arrival of Eid al-Fitr, Muslims do the things that are unusual they do on the ordinary days. For example, making a variety of cakes to be served to guest who will visit to his/her house, including making ‘Timphan’ which is the special food from our region, Aceh, then, cleaning the house as clean as possible because there will be many people who will visit his/her house. It would be his/her neighbors, his/her friends, and the relatives who came from afar. The relatives who live far from their family...